Solar outdoor lights vs electric outdoor lighting has been a topic of discussion for years now. The debate between solar outdoor lights vs electric outdoor lights has been ongoing since the invention of electricity.
Electricity was first used in 1879 and since then, there has been an increase in the use of electricity. However, the use of solar outdoor lights has increased tremendously over the last few years.
So, which is better? Well, both have their pros and cons. So, let’s find out which one is better.
What are Solar Outdoor Lighting Systems?
A solar outdoor light system consists of several parts that work together to provide you with energy-efficient lighting solutions. These systems include solar panels, batteries, controllers, wiring, fixtures, etc.
The main purpose of these systems is to convert sunlight into electrical power so as to be able to illuminate your home or business at night. This way, you can save on your utility bills while also being environmentally friendly.
How Does It Work?
When it comes to using solar outdoor lights, they basically function like any other type of indoor lighting. They just do not require any form of fuel such as gas or oil to operate. Instead, they rely solely on the sun’s rays to generate enough energy to keep them running.
This means that when the sun goes down, all you need to do is turn off the switch and leave the lights alone until morning. When the sun rises again, the lights will automatically come back on without having to worry about turning them on manually.
Advantages Of Using Solar Outdoor Light System
There are many advantages associated with using solar outdoor lighting systems.
Some of those benefits include:
1) Energy Savings – One of the biggest reasons why people choose to install solar outdoor lighting systems is because they want to reduce their monthly utility bill by up to 50%. In fact, some homeowners even report savings of more than 90%!
2) Environmentally Friendly – Since solar outdoor lighting uses no fossil fuels, it helps protect our environment from pollution caused by burning coal, gasoline, diesel, natural gas, etc. Also, this kind of lighting does not emit harmful gases.
3) No Maintenance Required – Unlike traditional types of lighting, solar outdoor lighting requires very little maintenance. You don’t have to change bulbs every month; instead, you only need to clean dust and dirt away once per year. Plus, unlike regular lamps, solar outdoor lighting doesn’t get hot during operation. Therefore, you won’t experience heat damage if left unattended overnight.
Disadvantages Of Using Solar Outdoor Lighting Systems
While solar outdoor light system offers numerous benefits, there are still disadvantages associated with its usage.
Here are some of the drawbacks of installing solar outdoor lighting:
1) Installation Cost – While installation costs may vary depending on where you live, most experts agree that solar outdoor lighting installations cost around $5,000-$10,000. That said, however, you should know that the initial investment could pay itself off within 3-6 months after installation.
2) Size And Weight – Most solar outdoor lighting units tend to be quite large and bulky. If you’re looking to place several of these units throughout your property, make sure you plan accordingly. Otherwise, you might run into problems trying to move them around.
Which Type Should I Choose?
If you’re wondering whether to go with solar outdoor lights or electric outdoor lighting, here are some things you should consider before making your decision:
Cost Factor – Both solar outdoor lighting and electric outdoor lighting offer similar prices. However, you must take note that solar outdoor lighting tends to be cheaper due to lower operating costs. In addition, you can save money by purchasing multiple units at once rather than buying individual ones.
Maintenance Costs – Although solar outdoor lighting does require less maintenance, this comes with a price tag. On average, you will spend about $100 annually just to maintain your solar outdoor lighting unit. This includes cleaning filters, replacing batteries, etc.
Safety Concerns – Safety concerns arise when using any type of electrical equipment. With solar outdoor lighting, you also face potential safety risks such as fire hazards and electrocution. To avoid these dangers, always keep all cords and wires well hidden from children and pets. Also, ensure that no water gets inside the housing of the unit.
Lighting Quality – When choosing between solar outdoor lighting and electric indoor lighting, you want to choose something that provides high quality illumination. A good option would be LED lighting because they provide bright white light without consuming too much energy.
Durability – Durability refers to how long a product lasts under normal conditions. It takes time to determine exactly what kind of durability a particular item possesses. But generally speaking, products made from metal tend to be durable while those made from plastic usually aren’t.
Ease Of Use – Ease of use refers to how easy it is to operate a certain device. Products like solar outdoor lighting come with simple controls so users can easily adjust settings. They also feature automatic shutoff features so you don’t have to worry about turning them off manually.
Energy Efficiency – Energy efficiency refers to how efficient a product is compared to other alternatives. Solar outdoor lighting offers great energy savings because it doesn’t need constant attention unlike traditional lighting systems. You only need to pay for its operation during daylight hours.
Overall Cost Effectiveness – Overall cost effectiveness means taking everything into consideration including initial purchase price, monthly utility bills, replacement costs, installation fees, etc.
The Bottom Line
Both solar outdoor lighting and electric lighting are viable choices. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Ultimately, it depends on your personal preferences and needs.