Outdoor lighting to add a unique style and flair to your home which can drive up the resale value. But does outdoor lighting increase home value?
Outdoor lighting can make a house more appealing to potential buyers, as it can give the impression that the house is well-maintained and customized which a lot of homeowners prefer. You should consider adding some lighting to your property as it can boost your property’s value as high as 20 percent.
Homeowners who live near areas where light pollution occurs may notice their property values drop due to decreased visibility at night. However, new research suggests that homeowners living close to street lights may actually benefit financially by having these fixtures installed.
According to recent studies conducted by researchers at Stanford University, homes located within 1 mile of a streetlight were found to sell faster.
After knowing the answer to the question, “does outdoor lighting increase the value of a home?” lets look into questions you might be asking such as “what are the benefits of outdoor lighting?” What are some of the most popular benefits of outdoor lighting?
This article is a great place to start, so continue reading to find out!
The Impact of Outdoor Lighting on Property Value in Real Estate
If you want to know how much an outdoor lighting system will impact your real estate investment, then this information will help you understand what factors play a role when determining the price of a home. The following list includes several key points about outdoor lighting:
1) It adds appeal – When people see beautiful landscaping or other exterior features they tend to think positively about the overall condition of the home. This means that if there is something wrong with the outside of the home, it could negatively affect its marketability. If you have any issues with your lawn mowing service, for example, it would not only reflect poorly on your business but also lower the perceived quality of your home.
2) It improves safety – Having good lighting around your home makes it easier for drivers to navigate safely through your neighborhood. In addition, it helps keep children safe from traffic accidents while playing outdoors.
3) It increases security – Homeowners often install motion sensors and cameras to monitor activity inside and outside their properties. These devices allow them to view footage remotely whenever necessary. They can even record audio and video clips using the device’s microphone and camera.
4) It creates a welcoming atmosphere – Adding outdoor lighting allows you to create a warm environment indoors. People feel comfortable spending time outside after dark thanks to the bright illumination provided by the lamps.
What Kinds of Lighting Increase Property Value?
There are many different types of outdoor lighting systems available today. Some common options include floodlights, spotlights, track lighting, recessed down-lighting, pendant lighting, wall sconces, chandeliers, and more.
Each type has unique advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation. For instance, floodlights provide excellent coverage over large spaces, but they do not offer enough flexibility to illuminate smaller rooms. Spotlights work well for small spaces because they produce concentrated beams of light.
The Cost of Outdoor Lighting Systems
The national average cost of installing outdoor fixture is around $522. Buying lighting fixtures will range between 150$ to 900$.
The cost of outdoor lighting systems is a major factor in the decision to install them. The initial investment can be substantial, but it will pay off over time with increased property value and reduced maintenance costs.
Some people choose to hire a professional contractor to install the lighting fixtures, but they say it can be done by anyone.
How many bulbs do I need?
You should always consult a professional electrician to determine which type of light fixture best suits your needs. For instance, LED bulbs last longer than traditional incandescent bulbs, but require more energy to operate.
Do Outdoor Lights Use a Lot of Electricity?
The amount of electricity that outdoor lights use varies, but it is typically a small amount, much less than what is used by indoor lights. You may find yourself paying extra fees at your utility company because of the additional load created by these lights. However, most homeowners are willing to make the trade-off since they enjoy having better visibility during nighttime hours.
Benefits of Outdoor Lighting
The benefits of outdoor lighting are numerous. It can be used to illuminate your home, business or property in a number of ways that will increase the value and attractiveness of your investment. The following is an overview of some of these benefits:
1) Illumination – Light helps you see things better at night. This includes seeing people coming up to your door as well as being able to read signs on buildings. If you have any concerns about how visible your house looks when lit up, hiring a local commercial real estate agent who specializes in residential sales can help you get a sense of whether buyers think your home has enough curb appeal.
2) Safety – When there’s no ambient light available, it becomes harder to identify hazards such as potholes and cracks in sidewalks. In addition, if someone were to break into your home while you’re away from home, they would not know where to look for valuables.
3) Security – Having exterior lighting makes it easier for neighbors to spot suspicious activities happening near your residence. This could include anything from drug deals taking place to burglaries occurring nearby.
Should I install an automatic timer for my outdoor lighting?
If you don’t want to take the time to do it, then yes. If you want to be more in control, then no. However, It is preferable to turn on outdoor lighting manually, but you can use automatic timers. They are safe and will not cause any damage to your electrical system.
Can I use LED bulbs in my outdoor lighting?
While LED bulbs can be used for outdoor lighting, they should not be used in outdoor fixtures where they will be installed in the ground or exposed to the weather. Many of the LED bulbs are not designed specifically for outdoor applications.
Will using LEDs save me money over time?
Yes! While LED bulbs cost slightly more upfront, their long life span means that you’ll end up saving money in the long run.