Polywood shutters are an excellent choice if you want to add privacy to your home without having to spend a fortune. They are also a great option if you live in a hot climate because they keep out heat and cold.
But are polywood shutters worth the investment? In this article, I will tell you whether or not they are a good choice for you.
What Are Shutters?
A window shutter is a type of window covering that consists of frames and panels. The frame of the shutter is usually made with a vertical stile and horizontal rails. In this framing can be put louvers, solid panels, fabrics and glass to create a customized solution for your home or business.
Several different kinds of materials can be used to create a shutter. Shutters have been around for thousands of years since the first created by the Egyptians, who constructed panels using papyrus to keep out the heat.
Shutters are window coverings that can be made of wood, vinyl, aluminum, fiberglass, plastic, canvas or any other material.
Window shutters are a gorgeous and versatile way to decorate exterior windows. Window shutter design options range from very detailed and unique to plain and simple designs.
What Are Other Kinds of Shutters?
Here are some of the common kinds of shutters:
Wooden Shutters – Wooden shutters have been used as protection against wind and rain for centuries. These days, people use them for more than just protecting their homes from weather conditions. You can find many different types of wooden shutters including plantation shutters, roller blinds, louvers, venetian blinds, etc.
Vinyl Shutters – Vinyl shutters are one of the best choices when it comes to adding style and elegance to your house. If you’re looking for something unique and modern then these are definitely what you need.
Aluminum Shutters – Aluminium shutters are another popular choice among homeowners who prefer sleek designs over traditional ones. It doesn’t matter how much money you put into your home’s exterior; aluminium shutters always look classy no matter where you place them.
Fiberglass Shutters – Fiberglass shutters are very durable and come with high-quality materials. This makes them ideal for those living in areas prone to hurricanes and tornadoes. Most manufacturers offer lifetime warranties on their products so there won’t ever be a worry about quality issues.
Are Polywood Shutters Worth It?
Polywood shutters are constructed 70% more energy efficient than wooden shutters and even more efficient than aluminum blinds by 1600%. These awesome benefits also come with a lifetime warranty
So I can say Polywood Shutters are defintely worth it!
But that’s not all! Here are more reasons why I think they are worth it!
1) Versatility – Polywood shutters are available in various sizes, shapes and colors which means you don’t have to settle for anything less than perfect. Whether you’re planning to install them at your front door, patio doors, sliding glass doors, French doors, bay windows, dormers, skylights, garage doors, barn doors, etc., you’ll never run out of places to apply them.
2) Durability – Polywood shutters last longer than most other types of shutters. Because of its superior construction, polywood shutters tend to stay strong even after being exposed to extreme temperatures like snow storms, heavy winds, hail, sleet, freezing temperatures, humidity, dust, dirt, grease, grime, salt spray, UV rays, insects, rodents, birds, pets, children, etc.
3) Low Maintenance – Since polywood shutters aren’t made of real wood, they do not rot, warp, crack or splinter. As long as you clean them regularly, they remain stain free. The same goes for vinyl shutters.
Unlike wood shutters, they don’t require any kind of upkeep. All you need is some basic soap and water to remove stains and mildew.
4) Easy Installation – When installing polywood shutters, all you really need to know is how to measure properly and cut accurately. There are plenty of online tutorials showing you step by step instructions on how to make sure everything turns out right. Once you get started, installation shouldn’t take too long.
Are Polywood Shutters Expensive?
The cost of polywood shutters depends entirely upon the size of the window, type of material used, color/pattern chosen, number of panels required, location of application, etc. But let me give you a rough idea:
If you plan to cover one small window, such as a single pane, you should expect to pay around $100-$200 per panel. For larger panes, prices go up accordingly. If you choose to use multiple panels, you may end up paying anywhere from $300-$600+ each.
At first, they may sound a bit on the expensive side but given the benefits I mentioned above you definitely get much more out of them.
Do Shutters Add Value To Your Home?
Yes, they certainly do. Not only does adding shutters increase the value of your house, but they also provide additional protection against sun damage, rain, wind, bugs, pests, etc. So when selling your property, you could easily ask for more or even double what you paid for your home just based on the fact that you added shutters.
Shutters add a lot of functionality but also the aesthetic of your home and this can add more value and significantly increase the demand of your property.
What To Look For When Buying Polywood Shutters
When buying polywood shutters, there are several things to consider before making your final decision. Here’s a list of questions you must answer before purchasing:
1) What Type Of Window Do You Want To Cover With Shutter Panels?
There are two main options available when it comes to covering windows with shutter panels. One way is to have individual panels installed over every opening while another method involves using pre-assembled units.
Individual Panel Installations – This is probably the most common approach since it allows you to customize the look of your shutters according to your preferences. However, it requires a little extra work during installation so be prepared to put in at least 3 hours of labor time. It would help if you already had experience working with wooden materials.
Pre-Assembled Units – These come in various sizes and styles which makes them easier to install than their individual counterparts. The downside is that they don’t allow you to change the design once they’re installed.
2) How Many Panels Should Be Installed On Each Side Of A Window?
This question has 2 answers depending on whether you want to cover both sides of a window or just 1 side.
Covering Both Sides – Most people opt for this option simply because it provides maximum coverage. But remember that you’ll still need to purchase separate pieces for each side of the window.
Can I Install Polywood Shutters on My Own?
You can always hire someone else to handle the job for you. But if you decide to do it yourself, here are some tips to make sure everything goes smoothly:
• Make Sure That All Parts Are Available At Once – Before starting any project, make sure all parts are ready and accessible. Don’t wait until the last minute!
• Measure Everything Carefully And Accurately – Use measuring tape and ruler to ensure accuracy.
• Know Where To Cut Wood – If you plan on cutting wood by hand, know where to cut. Also, use safety goggles and ear plugs to protect from splinters.
Where Can I Buy Polywood Shutters?
If you’ve decided to buy polywood shutters, then you might as well get started right away. There are many different places online where you can find these products including Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. Additionally, you may even see local stores selling them too. Just check around first to avoid disappointment.
How Much Does Installation Cost?
The cost of installing polywood shutters depends on how much material you order and what type of installation service you choose. Some companies offer free estimates while others charge per hour. So shop wisely and ask about pricing details beforehand.
In conclusion, polywood shutters are definitely one of the best ways to improve the appearance of your house.
They can be installed easily by anyone with basic carpentry skills. You don’t have to hire professional installers either as most companies offer installation services at affordable prices.
However, there is no denying that these types of windows come with some drawbacks. For example, they tend to get dirty quickly so it may take quite a bit of time before they look like new again.