Are Outdoor Rugs A Bad Idea?
Outdoor Rugs are a new way for homeowners to embrace nature and bring a little bit of the great outdoors inside. They’re perfect for balconies, patios, porches—anywhere that calls for some fresh air and natural beauty.
Like an indoor rug, an outdoor rug is a great way to help your flooring last longer, protect it from elements and even add style.
What are outdoor rugs?
An outdoor rug is a type of floor covering that doesn’t need to be taken inside when it rains or snows. We’ve all seen them before: They’re on patios and balconies and in front of entrances. Most people will just call them “rugs” because it’s easier than trying to explain exactly what they are.
Such rugs are often made with synthetic fibers like polypropylene or nylon to help prevent water from seeping through to the flooring underneath, which makes them ideal for places where weather can turn on a dime—like in the great Northwest. And they’re usually designed to resist staining or fading from exposure to sunlight and rain so they’ll look as good months later as they did the day you bought them.
Why they’re a bad idea
Outdoor rugs are not waterproof
Most outdoor rugs aren’t meant to be used outside, and those that are may claim to be water-resistant or water-proof but they are rarely actually waterproof. This means that if you spill something on it, the liquid will soak into the rug and leave a mark. It will also make the rug difficult to clean if you don’t allow it dry thoroughly first or replace it as soon as possible.
Outdoor rugs have a short lifespan
Anyone who has ever owned an outdoor rug knows that they tend to not last very long before fading and/or losing their color entirely. This is because outdoor rugs are exposed to sun year-round, which can cause them to deteriorate faster than indoor rugs.
When they’re a bad idea
First of all, outdoor rugs are porous. This means that if water seeps into them, it will stay in there. And if it stays in there, then your patio is going to have to deal with a lot more water than necessary. And having to deal with too much water is a problem.
The second thing to consider is size. An outdoor rug has to be big enough that everyone using the patio can sit on it—but not so big that these people feel like they’re sitting on top of a plush sea of fabric instead of comfortably lounging on something spacious. The truth is that most outdoor rugs are way too small for how much space they take up. What does this mean? It means you’re looking at a huge amount of wasted space around the edges of your patio—and this isn’t just unsightly, it’s also dangerous. If people trip on these edges, someone could get really hurt.
Why they’re a good idea?
- They’re often made of natural materials, like cotton or jute, they can be an eco-friendly alternative to indoor rugs.
- They’re easy to clean. Outdoor rugs are made of materials that are resistant to dirt and moisture, and they’re also really easy to spot-clean or hose off after a spill.
- They look great. You can find outdoor rugs in a huge range of colors and patterns, so whatever your style, you can find one that fits it perfectly.
- They’re comfortable. This is probably the biggest reason to get an outdoor rug: they make your patio way more comfortable, meaning you’ll spend more time out there!
- They’re easily replaced, you can change the style of your room without having to buy new flooring. Want to rearrange your patio? No problem—just roll up your rug and lay it down somewhere else!
When they are a good idea?
Outdoor rugs are a good idea for two main reasons. The first reason is that the nice weather will let you enjoy the outdoors more often in the summer and early fall. The second reason comes from the fact that you will spend more time outdoors instead of having to retreat back inside because of oppressive heat or just wet feet from a garden hose. With outdoor rugs, you can spend more time doing fun things outside and less time cleaning up after your fun.
Are they worth the investment?
Outdoor rugs are worth the investment. Outdoor rugs are also much easier to clean than indoor rugs because they’ll never have pet fur or dust mites stuck in them. They’re also antifungal and antibacterial! You’ll never have to worry too much about mold or mildew on outdoor rugs. They can also make your patio look great and be easier on your feet while you’re out on the porch or hanging out in the yard.
Reasons to consider using outdoor rugs.
- They help preserve the original appearance of your hardwood or tile floors. When it comes to a nice home, it’s important not to put anything but the best furnishings in it.
- Outdoor rugs can be a great way to divide areas or create rooms and special spaces in the yard.
- They are also ideal for when you have children playing outside or when you’re entertaining guests, as they add warmth and charm to your outdoor spaces.
- Outdoor rugs are also very versatile. You can use them in any climate and they’re also easy to care for.
- Outdoor rugs can be used as an alternative to carpeting in areas of your home that don’t have a lot of foot traffic.
- They’re also a great way to keep dirt and debris out of your home.
- They’re perfect for creating a cozy and welcoming atmosphere on your porch or patio.
- They help protect deck and stone surfaces from wear and tear
- They add style and color to your outdoor decor.
- They’re weatherproof, so you don’t need to worry about moving them inside during rainstorms or storing them in a closet during the winter.