For most people, a fence is more than a mark of their property line. It’s an important security feature that helps protect the inside of their homes. The question always remains—is upgrading my fence to include wall spikes the best way to go?
What are fence spikes?
Fence spikes are a form of anti-climbing device. They are attached to the top of fences or walls to deter intruders, and may be made from different materials depending on your needs.
If you have a garden or backyard with an unsecured fence, it may be worthwhile to invest in some fence spikes. This will keep out any unwanted visitors who could be tempted by your plants or vegetables.
Are Fence Spikes Any Good?
Fence spikes are an effective way to deter intruders, as they make it more difficult to climb over the fence. They can be made from different materials such as plastic or metal, and come in a variety of sizes.
The type of material you choose will depend on your budget and how secure you want your fence to be. If you live in an area with high crime rates, then it may be worth investing in steel or aluminum spikes, which are more durable than plastic ones.
Fence Spikes Installation Installing fence spikes is relatively easy, although there are a few things you need to take into account before you start.
Firstly, check that the surface where you’re attaching the spikes is strong enough to support them – most types will need screws or nails to hold them in place. Also, make sure any spikes you buy are suitable for the surface they’re being attached to – some types of fencing material will need special brackets and fixings to support the weight of the spikes.
What are the pros and cons of fence spikes?
- Fence spikes are a security product. They can be used to stop intruders from climbing over a fence or wall, and they’re effective against climbing intruders.
- Fence spikes are not effective against digging intruders, so if your objective is to keep people out, this may not be the best option for you.
- Fence spikes are easy to install and remove; all you need is a screwdriver and wrench!
Do fence spikes actually work?
Fence spikes are a good option for preventing burglars from climbing over your fence. They’ll make it difficult for them to climb over, and this will deter them from attempting to do so.
Fence spikes come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, so you can choose the ones that best suit your property situation. Some people install them along the top of their fences, while others opt for installing them around their entire perimeter or at key points along the fence line. You may not want to use a lot of spikes if you have small children who might get hurt by falling on them or playing with them.
Spikes can be attached directly onto wood posts using nails or screws (make sure they’re sturdy enough), but if you don’t want any holes drilled into your posts then consider gluing instead—this is especially helpful if there are multiple layers that need securing together! They’re also easy enough to remove when necessary; simply pry off any remaining glue residue with some acetone before going back out there again 🙂
How to install fence spikes
- Level your fence. If you’re using concrete posts, check that the ground is level before starting. If it isn’t, have an expert adjust them so that they are. Otherwise, you might have to use more spikes than usual because your fence will be crooked.
- Attach the spikes to the top of the post using a hammer and nails (or screws). Make sure they are completely flush with the surface of the post; otherwise they may fall out in high winds or during heavy rainstorms and leave holes in your fence line where animals could get through easily!
- Make sure that everything is secure before moving on to step 3 below – if any part seems loose then remove it immediately as this could cause damage down-line once installed correctly later on!
How to remove fence spikes
- To remove fence spikes from a tree, use a crowbar or electric saw to cut the spike at its base and then pry it out with pliers.
- To remove fence spikes from brick walls, use an electric drill fitted with a masonry bit and bore holes through the metal until it breaks off. You can also try hammering on one side of the metal until it loosens enough for you to grab with pliers or vice grips.
- To remove fence spikes from wood, use an electric saw to cut around each spike until it’s freed from whatever material has been holding it in place (usually wood). Then use needle-nosed pliers to pull them out of the wood they’re embedded in.
- To remove fence spikes from dirt floors or ground coverings like grass lawns or mulch beds, dig around each stake until you get down far enough for them no longer be flush against your skin when standing over top of them safely without fear of injury due to falling onto their pointed ends accidentally
Fence spikes are a good way to secure your perimeter, but they are not necessarily the best option. They can be inexpensive, easy to install and remove, and effective against casual intruders who might climb over your fence out of curiosity or as an attempt at mischief.
However, they are not as effective as other anti-climb security devices such as fences with razor wire on top or electric fences.